Tuesday 29 March 2011

Smoothie Recipe for Beginners

Greetings Greenies!

Today, I wanted to write up a couple of basic smoothie recipes for you to try out at home. Remember, if you are making them for the first time, it may feel a little odd to pop your kale into the blender along with some fruit, but what I do ask is that you please, please refrain from judging these strange looking concoctions until you've at least tried them for three mornings in a row.

Anyway, here we go, you will need the following.

Beginners Basic Kale
3 to 4 leaves of kale
2 soft, ripe pears
3 to 4 dates (pitted)
1/2 cup of water (more if desired)

Blend everything together in a blender. I like to blend my greens up first before adding my fruit. I also remove the really strong stalk if I am using a less powerful blender, but also because they can add a bitter taste to your smoothie. Pour into smoothie container (if you have one) or glass (if you don't) and enjoy...An oldie, but a goodie!

Mangolicious

1 cup of spinach
1 ripe mango
Handful of pineapple
1/2 cup of water (or more if desired)

Bananatastic

1 cup spinach
2 bananas
1 cup water

For both mangolicious and bananatastic, blend all the ingredients together in blender. If you feel you would like a green smoothie that is less thick, please feel free to add more water to get it to to a consistency that is perfect for you.

Sometimes I add a little lemon juice to make the mixture even more alkalising, not to mention helping the body absorb the calcium from the spinach. You don't have too, it's just a good thing to get into the habit of doing when you are using spinach.

Remember, green smoothies are meant to be delicious, nutritious, creamy drinks, so feel free to change any parts of the above to suit your own palate. The idea is to help you introduce more greens into your diet, and if you're anything like me, you will only do this if it is easy to make and delicious to taste, so please, no suffering in silence, no nose pinching and most certainly, no "bottoms up"! Adjust and amend to your liking.

I think you will be very surprised by what you think of these lovely greens that you are making part of your life for the next 3 days.  Whatever you think, I'd like to hear about it.  Please write to me with your experience...I don't even mind if it's really bad or that you are never, ever, going to try one of these drinks again! Your comments mean that I can improve and understand more about how others feel about taking greens in this way.

Well, that's it from me for now.

Keep up the good work!

Kitchen Greenie.

No comments:

Post a Comment