Saturday 22 October 2011

Tasty Turmeric Veggies with Millet








Hello fellow yummy, healthy foodies,

It's been too long since I posted a recipe or indeed wrote my blog, but I hope the attached will go some way towards letting you know how sorry I am. It's been all go here getting my book ready for publication and it really is taking up oodles of time. But, things are beginning to calm down now, so it will be all systems go with my blog over the coming months and I am really looking forward to sharing what I know with all of you.

While this millet and veggie recipe wouldn't win any prizes in Master Chef, is still delicious, incredibly good for you because it's sooo alkalising and easy peasy to make which I think more than makes up for the lack of creativity.

Change the veggies around to ones that work for you if these don't float your boat. You can add chicken if you are that way inclined but I think it would be great if you could leave it out and see how you get on without it. How about making it your veggie meal of the week? Just a thought!
I love it and I hope you do too!

Well, here it is...

Turmeric Tasty Veggies with Millet (serves 2 and a bit for the pot!)
3 cups water
1 cup of millet
1 Tbs coconut oil (it won't taste of coconut, don't worry)
1/2 an onion, diced
Handful of peas
1/4 squash (optional)
3/4 tsp good quality sea salt, Himalayan or Celtic
1/2 Tbs ground cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 pepper (I like red), but yellow is good too
1 cup broccoli florets

To make
If you soak the millet over night, it will be much easier to digest and will be easier for your body to extract the available nutrients within.

Add the soaked millet to a pan of boiling water and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside. In a pan heat the coconut oil and add the onions.  Cook for a few minutes until they are a translucent quality. Then add salt and your spices. Cook for several minutes. Finally add all the vegetables except the peas which will be added later. Cook for about 8 minutes. Add peas and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes. Finally, add the cooked millet to the pan and stir everything together. If you would like to add more spices, you can add to adjust the flavouring to suit your taste buds. That's it!

This dish can be served with a nice green salad if you find you would like something on the side.

As always, I'd love to know what you think!

Get the Glow,

Ruth.

No comments:

Post a Comment