Tuesday 3 July 2012

Seasonal Ingredients for July

Happy almost 4th of July to you all!

It's seems like such a long time since I sat down to write a blog post and when I looked over the date of my last one, it certainly has been a while....Almost two weeks ago! Where is the time flying to? Has anyone else noticed time speeding up or am I alone in this? I always intend to write more often, especially about the wonderful foods that I come across in my day to day life, and while I manage to take note of them, I do sometimes fail to let you know how you can get your hands on these delights. So, my apologies for the delay...I hope this list and the delicious Redcurrant and Raspberry Smoothie Recipe will go some way towards atoning:-)

Just the other day I was browsing through the BBC's Food Website and I came across this wonderful list of seasonal ingredients. Even though I manage to shop in my local farmer's market and can only avail of seasonal produce, I found it a really useful reminder. It is especially handy for those who can only manage get to shop in Tescos because of time constraints but would like to eat more food in season. As this may be a bit harder for you to know exactly what in and what's not, I have listed them below.

What's Hot for July?

Apricot
Aubergine
Beetroot
Cherry
Chicory
Courgette
Crab
Cucumber
Fennel
French Beans
Globe Artichoke
Kohlrabi
Mackerel
Nectarine
Peas
Peach
Radish
Raspberry
Redcurrant
Rocket
Runner Beans
Sardines
Spring Onion
Strawberry
Swiss Chard
Tomato
Watercress

And as promised, here's your recipe using two of the berries and watercress from the list above. I hope you like it.

Raspberry-Redcurrant Surprise


1/4 Redcurrant
1/4 Raspberries
1 Banana
Small handful of Watercress
Large handful of Spinach
1-2 cups of water.
Stevia, honey or agave to taste.


This smoothie will be sharper than some others are these berries are not known for their sweetness, this is also why I have added in the banana and left it up to you to sweeten according to you own taste buds.

Benefits of Eating Watercress
Although there are lots of conflicting nutritional information claims about eating greens in general. For the most part, they are loaded with vitamin A,C and K. Watercress in particular,  also has a good supply of protein, folate, pantothenic acid and contains good amounts of calcium and magnesium. It also contains Vit E, which is along with Vit A and C which are excellent antioxidants.

As always, if you have any suggestions or comments for me, I would love to hear them. Perhaps, you might even send me a photo if you're so inclined. It would certainly make my day!

Until next time.....

Ruth.

No comments:

Post a Comment