Wednesday 31 August 2011

Get Your Giggle On



These are challenging times we are living in. It may sound strange, but I gave up listening to the news quite some months ago. But somehow, I have always managed to keep abreast of everthing that's going on in the world through other people and glimpses of headlines here and there without having to actually sit and watch or listen to any news channel.


For some people the very idea of this may be too much to handle, but for me, it just makes sense. Especially if you could be watching something really funny instead. Anyway, for the last few years, there has been very little good news to report, and I don't particularly want to be remided of it daily. Especially, if I am having a day that things are not going as well as I would like them to. Some people find knowing what to eat stressful, for me this is simple, for others, it is chosing something to wear, again, for me this is something I love doing. However, the area I fall down on most is making sure I am not overgiving, and keeping my stress levels well managed. This is an area of my life that I like to keep in check and one of the best ways I have found to do this and that works for me to have a good old giggle. Oh, you just feel brilliant afterwards! Like going to see a good comedian and having to hold your sides from the pain because your waist  muscles are getting such a good workout. In my opinion, nothing is a good at changing your mood as much as laughing. So how are you going to get your giggle on?

For me it was last Sunday afternoon when I met with an old and very good friend of mine. We had not seen each other for a long time (way too long in my opinion). We spent a wonderful day together and what resulted from this meeting was a completely fresh look at life.We laughed and giggled for hours and I came home completely refreshed and invigorated. It reminded me of when I was young, carefree and unaware of the world around me. I felt fantastic and could barely remember what had been causing me concern in the first place. However, some days later I did remember what it was, plus several creative solutions to achieve resolutions, without having to sit down and "figure" them out.

Some people naturally gravitate towards having lots and lots of fun and making sure that it is an integral part of their lives. For me, I have a tendency to work a lot and keep seeing where I can be better. This means that I can sometimes forget to "pencil in" (that's a joke!) to have a good old giggle.

It may sound too silly for you (and if it does, then perhaps, then it is good to be reminded), but I am wondering, have you had a giggle today? What did you do? If you didn't, could you find a way to have one tomorrow? Life is a journey, not a destination and it will be much more fun and enjoyable if you can make room for giggling. So, what are you waiting for?...get your giggle on! A really belly laugh is irresistible and if you still want to be technical about it, having a giggle will do your immune system the world of good. Studies have shown, that people who laugh more, have stronger resistance to stress and build healthier and more white blood cells. They're the little critters that go out and work hard protecting you from getting sick.

I would love to hear what makes you have a belly laugh and if you happen to be facing challenges right now, what creative ways you have found to help you deal with some of those challenges, particularly if they involve laughing or having a giggle.

If you have any comments, I would be delighted if you would post them in the comments box below and look forward to reading them all.

Yours in good health and giggleness,

Ruth.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth,

    Yes, it's so important to laugh!

    I make it a point to watch a comedian I like called Stephen Colbert or this wicked silly cartoon called Clone High.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,
    I've been making sure I get to have a good old giggle daily ever since I realised I was taking myself too serious! Not anymore:)
    Gonna take look/listen to Stephen Colbert soon.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lots of love,
    Ruth.

    ReplyDelete